Amazon is one of the biggest companies. in the world. It’s hard to get to that point by making a single product or offering a single service, so it is not particularly surprising that Amazon has its fingers in pretty much all the cookie jars. Two of their most important products include Alexa and Fire TV products.
Alexa is a big player in the virtual assistant game, though it is not leading. Siri and Google Assistant take that position only because of how ubiquitous they are, thanks to iOS and Android being in our pockets all the time. However, this didn’t stop Alexa from being the top-rated voice assistant platform. Amazon Alexa makes it so much easier to have a smart home, so many people are adopting the tech.
The Fire TV line is for the digital media players made by Amazon. This product line has sold more than 150 million units. The Amazon Fire TV Stick, or just Fire Stick, is one of their most popular entries in this lineup. By plugging this device into the back of your TV, you’ll be able to use the internet to watch movies and TV series. You’ll even be able to use it to download games or browse the internet.
Now then, how can you take advantage of the smart functionality of Alexa and pair it with your Fire Stick? Here’s how to connect Fire Stick with Alexa.
Do you have a particular question about connecting Fire Stick with Alexa? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
Here's what we'll cover:
Can Alexa control Fire Stick?
One of the major advantages of smart home assistants like Alexa is their ability to connect with various products and bring convenient automation and voice control to them. So, considering that Amazon makes both the Fire Stick and Echo products that run on Alexa, I’d be pretty annoyed if they didn’t work together.
The good thing is that they do. So you can use your Firestick with Alexa as long as you pair them correctly. Once you do this, you’ll be able to use voice commands to get the Fire TV to do many things.
How to connect Firestick to Alexa?
Now, if you’re looking to connect Firestick to Alexa, you need to know the exact process. Don’t be daunted, though, because you don’t need to jump through any hoops to get it done. In fact, you could probably connect Alexa to Fire TV in two or three minutes if you know what you’re doing.
Just follow the steps below to get your Amazon Echo device and Alexa working with your Fire TV:
- The first thing that you’ll want to do is ensure that you’re on the latest version of the Alexa app on your smartphone. You can easily do this by going to your respective app store and going to the section with available updates. If you don’t see Alexa there, you are likely to already be on the latest version.
- Next up, make sure that your Fire TV and Alexa device are both signed in to the same Amazon account. This is absolutely necessary for this to work.
- Launch the Alexa app on your smartphone once you’re done with the prerequisites.
- Tap the More button, which looks like three lines stacked on top of each other. It is located in the upper left corner of the app.
- Press the Settings button, which has a gear icon.
- Select “TV & Video” from the list of options.
- Now choose “Fire TV.”
- You will see an option, “Link Your Alexa Device.” Tap it.
- Now, just follow the described process and instructions to complete the pairing. You will need to select the Fire TV device that you’re trying to pair and the Alexa-enabled device that you want to use. Keep in mind that you can connect more than one Alexa device to a single Fire Stick, enabling you to use it all around the house.
So, just like that, you’ve been able to pair these devices. So that’s how to connect Fire Stick with Alexa!
How to control Fire TV with Alexa?
Your Fire TV comes with a remote, but when you connect Fire TV with Alexa, it is because you don’t want to have to bother with that!
Once you’ve successfully paired these devices, if you’re looking for how to use Alexa on Firestick, it is as easy as using Alexa to do anything else. For example, you can start a command simply by saying “Alexa,” and then you follow up with what you want her to do.
In the next section, I’ll talk about some of the many voice commands you can use once you connect Alexa to Fire TV. Let’s get into it!
Top Alexa Firestick commands
Now, you can figure out many cool things you can do when you pair Firestick with Alexa, but that will be trial and error. So instead, I will give you a list of some of the most useful features instead of having you stumble through them blindly.
To use any of these commands on your Fire TV with Alexa, you start off by calling Alexa’s name to get her to listen. Once she does, you can follow up with what you want her to do:
- You can get Alexa to play a movie or a TV show from Prime Video or any of the other video-on-demand apps on Fire TV by saying “Watch” or “Play”, followed by the name of the movie or show. If you want her to play it on a specific app, you append that at the end. For example: “Alexa, play The Batman on HBO Max.”
- You can search for movies, TV shows, and genres by using keywords like “Find,” “Search for,” and “Show me.” For example: “Find action movies.”
- You can navigate search results with commands like “Scroll down,” “Select row 7”, “Show more,” etc.
- You can open specific apps with an “Open” followed by the name of the app.
- Of course, you can control playback with “Play,” “Pause,” “Fast-forward,” “Next episode,” and so on.
- You can also ask Alexa to do things you would typically ask her, even when you don’t connect Firestick to Alexa. For instance, “Show me the weather” will read out the weather and show it on your Fire TV screen.
Credits: Thanks for the photo to Canva.
At ipoki.com we only mention the products that we’ve researched and considered worthy. But it’s important to mention that we are a participant of several affiliate programs, including Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate ipoki.com earns from qualifying purchases.