Technology is amazing. New concepts and devices are being invented before our eyes without even realizing it. For instance, one great example of this is the smart doorbell. It chimes like any other doorbell. But without having to get your butt off your couch, you can see who’s at the door (and ignore them without them hearing footsteps) and speak to them without needing to move an inch. That’s awesome.
If you were unaware, the history of the modern smart doorbell dates back to late 2011, when the product was still called Doorbot. From there, it went through a whirlwind of a time, business-wise, being bought up by Amazon in 2018 for an estimated $1 billion. When people think of smart doorbells, they think of Ring, despite the many competitors trying to steal their limelight.
In 2020, Ring sold over 1.4 million units of their products, earning about 18% of the video doorbells market share. Such a commanding presence in the market probably explains why you’ve bought one yourself or are planning to and need to figure out Ring doorbell installation without an existing doorbell. Not all houses have doorbells already installed, after all.
Fortunately, this is possible to do. It may be a little challenging to do if you don’t have DIY skills and all of that, but I have faith in you. You’ll be able to get it done. Let’s get into the details.
Do you have a particular question about Ring doorbell installation without existing doorbell? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
Here's what we'll cover:
- How Does Ring Doorbell Work If You Don’t Have a Doorbell?
- Can you use Ring doorbell without wires?
- Which Ring Doorbell Does Not Require Wiring?
- Plug-in Transformer for Your Ring Doorbell
- Ring Doorbell No Wires Installation Using an Indoor Power Adapter
- How to install Ring Doorbell 3 and 4 Without Existing Doorbell?
- How to install Ring doorbell Pro Without Existing Doorbell?
How Does Ring Doorbell Work If You Don’t Have a Doorbell?
During Ring doorbell installation, it needs to be connected to the wiring of the previous doorbell, right? No! It doesn’t, actually! This is one of the reasons why the company is so well-accepted.
Suppose you want to install Ring doorbell in a spot where there was no doorbell before. In that case, you can operate it off of battery power instead of connecting it to the mains, which provides a lot of flexibility. It also means you can use a Ring product in less orthodox places to find a doorbell, such as your backdoor.
Can you use Ring doorbell without wires?
You don’t necessarily need to hardwire Ring doorbell when installing it. It can work entirely fine without wires, which can be a joy if you plan on installing Ring doorbell yourself.
Ring doorbells have batteries inside that can power the device if it is not wired into the electrical supply of the building. Of course, this means that they will have to be recharged regularly, which might be inconvenient. It’s great to have the option, though.
Which Ring Doorbell Does Not Require Wiring?
Ring has a selection of different products. Some of these have to be used wired exclusively, while there is quite a selection that you can use on battery power alone. You’re looking for a Ring doorbell not hardwired if you don’t have an existing doorbell.
The video doorbell models from Ring that you should be looking at include the following models:
· Video Doorbell (yearly release, for instance, 2020 model)
· Video Doorbell 3
· Video Doorbell 4 (latest release, as of 2021)
As time goes on, Ring will continue to release newer versions of their video doorbells, many of which will not need to be hardwired. You can check in at their website, where you can filter by “Battery Video Doorbells.” This will help make your Ring doorbell installation without an existing doorbell as easy as it should be.
Plug-in Transformer for Your Ring Doorbell
Suppose you’re considering a Ring doorbell install, but you don’t have an existing doorbell. In that case, you’re probably frustrated at the idea of having to charge the device all the time. Well, apart from calling an electrician and having them do the complex job of running wires and costing you a lot of money, you can opt for a plug-in transformer instead.
Do you know what you plug in for your laptop or smartphone? Think of it exactly like that. This will take the voltage from your mains and drop it to a level that matches the Ring doorbell power requirements.
If you’re looking to buy a plug-in transformer by yourself, the Ring doorbell power requirements are:
· 8 to 24VAC
· 40VA maximum
If you don’t understand all of this and just want a recommendation, then I’m happy to help, as always. This top-rated transformer will be perfectly compatible with your Ring doorbell wiring.
Ring Doorbell No Wires Installation Using an Indoor Power Adapter
Now then, if you’ve gotten your plug-in transformer, you can proceed to the Ring doorbell install process itself. By doing this right, you don’t need to hardwire Ring doorbell.
Follow these steps to begin the process of installation:
- Locate a power outlet close to the door of your house.
- Plan out the route you wish for the Ring wiring to take from the power outlet to the outside of the house, where the doorbell will live. This can be through the gaps near a door or a window or through a hole in the wall.
- The Ring plug-in transformer comes with cable clips that you can use to secure the Ring wiring to the wall, which will make it nice and tidy.
- Once the wiring is all set to go, you can then install the doorbell itself.
How to install Ring Doorbell 3 and 4 Without Existing Doorbell?
Whether you choose to use a plug-in transformer or not with your Ring doorbell, the installation process is the same. Suppose you choose to operate on battery power. In that case, the procedure remains the same, just without connecting the Ring doorbell wiring from inside the house to the doorbell itself.
Before we get into it, if you will be installing Ring doorbell and intend to use it on battery power alone, make sure to charge it up before doing so!
- The doorbell comes with a level tool. Place it in the hole on the front and below the camera. It should click in place.
- With the doorbell around 4 feet high, use the tool to ensure the doorbell unit is level.
- Use a pencil to mark the mounting holes on your wall.
- This applies to harder materials like stone or brick walls. Make use of the drill bit included, along with a drill, to bore a hole at the spots previously marked.
- Once the holes have been made, fit them with the anchors included.
- At the back of the device are two screw terminals. If you’re using it with a plug-in adapter, connect the cables you have led outside these terminals. You can use either cable in either position. Make sure that the transformer is still unplugged inside the house!
- Once connected to power, use the screws included to mount it to the anchors you inserted.
- Once you have the doorbell firm against the wall, plug the adapter in.
- Check your Ring Doorbell 3/4, and the light on the front should be on. If it is blinking, wait until it has finished that process to avoid damaging it.
- You can then get the Ring smartphone app, which gives you much control over your Ring. In fact, there’s probably no point in doing a Ring doorbell install if you aren’t too big on smartphones.
How to install Ring doorbell Pro Without Existing Doorbell?
Even though the Ring doorbell Pro is entirely a wired model, you can install it the exact same way as a battery-powered one, just as was mentioned right above this.
Get a plug-in transformer, get the cable for the transformer from inside the house to outside, connect and mount the doorbell, and you’re good to go.
Credits: Thanks for the photo to Canva.
At ipoki.com we only mention the products that we’ve researched and considered worthy. But it’s important to mention that we are a participant of several affiliate programs, including Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate ipoki.com earns from qualifying purchases.