Bluetooth range is a hotly debated topic on the Internet, mainly because most of the world uses this wireless technology. Bluetooth is designed to support an extensive variety of achievable ranges between two or more devices. It’s the perfect technology for developers to create flexible, convenient, and reliable wireless solutions for their target customers.
But, like all wireless technologies, Bluetooth has a limited range. This article won’t just explain how Bluetooth range works, but also will take you on a journey through those invisible radio waves, showcasing just how powerful they can be. Our detailed guide provides insights on how you can extend the range of your Bluetooth signals, turning your home or office into a hub of wireless connectivity.
And here’s the cherry on top: we’re also bringing you a list of the top three best Bluetooth extenders in the market. These extenders have been tried and tested, and they’ve proven to be game-changers in the world of Bluetooth technology. So, buckle up and let’s take this exciting journey together, to push the boundaries of what’s possible with Bluetooth!
Do you have a particular question about the best Bluetooth extenders in 2023? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
Here's what we'll cover:
- What Is Bluetooth Range?
- How Far Does Bluetooth Reach?
- How to Boost Bluetooth Signal?
- How to Increase Bluetooth Range on Phone?
- How to Increase Bluetooth Range on a PC?
- Bluetooth range extender or Bluetooth mesh?
- How do Bluetooth Range Extenders Work?
- The Purpose and Advantages of Bluetooth Range Extenders
- Best Bluetooth Range Extender
- Final Words
What Is Bluetooth Range?
Imagine being able to walk around your entire home, maintaining a clear, steady Bluetooth connection, streaming your favorite music, or catching the latest episode of a TV show on your Bluetooth headphones. That, dear reader, is the power of Bluetooth range. According to Bluetooth SIG, a special-interest organization that oversees the development of Bluetooth-related technologies, Bluetooth is both a short & long-range wireless protocol.
In other words, the Bluetooth range on some devices can be less than a meter. In other devices, it can be more than a kilometer. A lot of factors determine the effective range between two Bluetooth devices.
To keep it closer to reality, the Bluetooth range is the maximum distance a Bluetooth signal can travel between a Bluetooth transmitter, like your smartphone, and a Bluetooth device such as your Bluetooth headphones or speakers. However, the strength of this connectivity can be quite a temperamental fellow. It can get the sniffles with physical barriers, like walls, and even weaken under specific environmental conditions.
Now enters the hero of our story, the Bluetooth range extender. This device works as a booster, a signal strength enhancer, stretching the limits of your Bluetooth connectivity range. It catches hold of the signal from your Bluetooth transmitter, gives it a pep talk, and sends it off, stronger and more determined, to your Bluetooth device. This power makes Bluetooth extenders the best Bluetooth accessory you can invest in for 2023.
Whether you are using Bluetooth for a home theater setup, or you just want to connect two devices for seamless audio quality, a Bluetooth range extender can work wonders. It can extend your Bluetooth range up to a staggering 160 feet, 200 feet, or even more. Now, isn’t that something to marvel at?
How Far Does Bluetooth Reach?
Here are the key factors that determine Bluetooth range:
- The number of channels through which the Bluetooth signals are being transmitted
- The efficiency of the channels
- The quality of the transmitter
- The quality of the receiver
- The level of antenna gain
- The amount of environmental degradation the signals undergo
Here’s a helpful video that further explains how these different factors impact Bluetooth ranges:
Generally speaking, low-powered Bluetooth solutions have shorter ranges and higher-powered ones can transmit data to longer distances. Based on these specifications, there are five classifications of Bluetooth:
- Class 1: The longest Bluetooth range that supports approximately 100 meters (300 feet) of communicable distance. Class 1 Bluetooth devices are generally used for industrial applications, not for consumer products.
- Class 2: Most Bluetooth-enabled electronic devices of today are Class 2 devices. This includes Apple/Android smartphones, smart TVs, PCs, and peripherals like Bluetooth headsets. Class 2 Bluetooth is commonly known as the “Bluetooth 4.0 range.” Bluetooth 4.0 devices can transmit data at up to 10 meters (33 feet) of distance. In 2017, the Bluetooth SIG launched Bluetooth 5.0 which increased the max range of Class 2 devices from 33 to 800 feet.
- Class 3: Class 3 Bluetooth devices are also quite common. Most wireless keyboards, speakers, etc., feature this Bluetooth specification. The average Bluetooth distance of Class 3 devices is lower than 1 meter (3 feet).
- Class 1.5: A mid-range option with a communication distance of up to 20 meters (65 feet). Class 1.5 Bluetooth devices aren’t too common.
- Class 4: This is the lowest-range Bluetooth option with a communication distance of less than 0.5 meters (1.5 feet).
If you own a Class 1 or Class 2 device, your maximum Bluetooth range will be very high. But, the quality of your device’s hardware will impact your Bluetooth signal range. So, unless your device has a high-sensitivity receiver, even with Class 1 or Class 2 Bluetooth, you’ll have difficulties transmitting wireless signals over long distances.
How to Boost Bluetooth Signal?
The best way to boost Bluetooth signal is to invest in the right device. For instance, a Bluetooth 5.0 or 4.0 device will always offer better Bluetooth distance than a Bluetooth 3.0 device. Here are some other practical ways to boost Bluetooth signal.
Discovering the Power of Streaming Without Interruptions
There’s nothing more frustrating than settling down to stream your favorite music or movie, only to experience audio-visual lag or a total disconnect due to short-range Bluetooth connectivity. However, the good news is that there are ways to boost the Bluetooth signal, allowing you to stream smoothly and seamlessly.
Choosing the Right Bluetooth Device
Your choice of Bluetooth-enabled devices can make or break your audio and video streaming experience. Devices that support aptX, for instance, significantly reduce the audio-visual lag, ensuring your sound quality is great. The RX mode of such devices reduces power consumption to about 2.5 milliwatts, contributing to a more user-friendly experience.
Importance of Connectivity Options
Your Bluetooth device’s connectivity options also play a crucial role in how well your signal performs. Some devices, for instance, offer an optical output in addition to the standard aux audio, giving you a wider field of strength and more flexibility when setting up your home stereo or home theater systems.
Boosting your Bluetooth signal can get a bit tricky when physical obstructions come into play. Walls, furniture, and other physical barriers can weaken the signal, reducing your working distance from a potential 200 feet to a disappointing short-range. In such cases, the device’s auto-reconnect feature can be a lifesaver, automatically restoring your connection when the signal improves.
Positioning Your Device for Optimal Performance
Positioning your device strategically can also enhance your Bluetooth signal. By avoiding areas with physical obstructions, you can maintain a strong field of strength. Remember, radio waves, which Bluetooth uses to transmit data, can be significantly weakened by obstructions.
Leveraging Devices for Multiple Connectivity
Some advanced Bluetooth devices can connect to multiple devices simultaneously. This is a fantastic feature if you want to stream audio to a soundbar and a pair of headphones that support Bluetooth simultaneously. The device’s bypass mode allows you to use it as a pass-through hub, enabling this multiple-device connectivity.
Ensuring Good Customer Service and Positive Reviews
Lastly, as always, it’s a good idea to go through our list of Bluetooth devices and read positive reviews before making a purchase. The device’s specs, along with the number and type of connectivity options, its maximum working distance, and whether it supports features like auto-reconnect or bypass mode, are all essential considerations. Good customer service is also a valuable bonus, ensuring that you’ll get the help you need if anything goes wrong.
How to Increase Bluetooth Range on Phone?
- Make sure there are no obstructions around your home/office (e.g., curtains, walls, etc.). They may decrease the strength of your Bluetooth connection.
- Turn off Bluetooth devices you’re not using. Never keep multiple Bluetooth-activated products near your phone when it’s connected to another Bluetooth device.
- Try resetting the connection. Your phone’s internal software may not be working properly. So, turn your phone off/on again to check whether the connection has improved.
- Always update your phone.
How to Increase Bluetooth Range on a PC?
- Keep your PC away from all interferences.
- Regularly update your PC’s Bluetooth drivers.
- Install the latest Windows updates on time.
If none of these techniques work, you should consider investing in a Bluetooth range extender i.e., a Bluetooth signal booster. A Bluetooth booster or a Bluetooth extender is a device that’s designed to magnify the signals of any Bluetooth device. You can connect two Bluetooth devices to a signal booster and increase the average Bluetooth distance of both devices.
In fact, high-quality Bluetooth range extenders can do more than just improve your signals’ distance. They can also reduce the risk of transmission issues by making the signals stronger. Just like Bluetooth devices have different classes, so do Bluetooth range extenders. Here are the best Bluetooth range extenders for iPhone and Android devices.
Bluetooth range extender or Bluetooth mesh?
One moment you’re kicking back, absorbed in the latest episode of your favorite TV show streaming on your Bluetooth-enabled device. The next, you’re battling with a weak Bluetooth connection, frantically trying to figure out how to extend your Bluetooth signal’s reach. Say no more! Enter: the Bluetooth range extender, the best Bluetooth accessory to extend the range of your signal. Whether you’re indoors or out, the Bluetooth range extender is your ticket to a lag-free streaming experience.
Now let’s clear up some confusion. A Bluetooth range extender and a Bluetooth mesh may seem like two peas in a pod, but they’re as different as apples and oranges. Picture this: if a Bluetooth range extender is a single bridge extending the range of your signal, Bluetooth mesh is an entire highway system connecting multiple devices simultaneously. So, while your Bluetooth extender may be the star of the show for individual Bluetooth 5.0 enabled devices, the Bluetooth mesh takes the cake for a more extensive, complex setup.
How do Bluetooth Range Extenders Work?
So, how do these handy extenders work their magic? Simple. They latch onto the Bluetooth signal from your Bluetooth transmitter, strengthen it, and throw it farther. In other words, they transform your Bluetooth connection from a weak whisper into a loud shout. Say goodbye to the 33 feet standard range of Class 2 Bluetooth devices and hello to a staggering 300 feet with the best range Class 1 extender. Now you can wander to your heart’s content, knowing your connection is secure and lag-free.
Here’s the behind-the-scenes action:
- Your device – be it your smartphone or a Bluetooth transmitter – sends out a signal.
- The Bluetooth range extender catches this signal like a pro baseball player.
- It then amplifies this signal like a rock star on stage.
- Finally, it broadcasts this amplified signal further, making sure it reaches where it needs to go.
All with zero lag and maximum sound quality. Bring on those large indoor spaces and forget about bluetooth connectivity issues.
The Purpose and Advantages of Bluetooth Range Extenders
Bluetooth range extenders are game-changers, and here’s why:
- Freedom: Say goodbye to the ’30-feet’ rule and hello to the ‘100 feet and beyond’ realm. Indoors, outdoors – it doesn’t matter. Your Bluetooth connection will hold strong.
- Multiple connections: You can connect multiple devices simultaneously. We’re talking headphones, speakers, and even non-Bluetooth devices like a CD player using a 3.5mm aux audio cable.
- No lag: Thanks to aptX low latency technology, you can enjoy high-quality audio without any lag. Stream music or catch up on the latest TV shows and movies, all lag-free.
- User-friendly features: Some extenders come with features like auto-reconnect and volume control.
Remember to check customer reviews, compare in a comparison table, and look for brands like TaoTronics, known for reliability, good customer service, and, of course, top-notch Bluetooth extenders. You can always opt for extenders that can work as both a transmitter and receiver, are compatible with both Bluetooth 4.2 and 5.0, and can stream audio to two Bluetooth headphones or speakers simultaneously.
Best Bluetooth Range Extender
HomeSpot Transmitter This product can instantly give your Bluetooth devices a 76-meter range. This device is also the least laggy of all the signal boosters I reviewed. It can support analog, digital, and coaxial inputs.
1MII B06 Receiver: Using this Bluetooth booster will instantly give your Bluetooth devices a 50-meter range. The 1MII B06 Receiver features a CSR Bluetooth 4.2 chip. This chip makes it possible to deliver high-definition audio via Bluetooth signals. Integrating this extender into your Bluetooth ecosystem is also pretty easy. The 1MII B06 Receiver even responds to Alexa voice commands!
Avantree Bluetooth Transmitter: This Bluetooth booster can give your Bluetooth devices an average range of 55 meters indoors and outdoors. Most owners use the product outdoors because it has a long battery life. The booster can last for up to 20 hours non-stop. It supports multipoint connections so it’s easy to use as well.
Hopefully, this guide has introduced you to the world of signal extenders. Should you buy one? Well, if you live in a large house or work in a big office space, these devices can drastically increase the range of your Bluetooth devices’ connections. Plus, the Bluetooth range extenders mentioned on this list are pretty cheap. So, trying them out is definitely a good, risk-free idea!
Credits: Thanks for the photo to Canva.
At ipoki.com we only mention the products that we’ve researched and considered worthy. But it’s important to mention that we are a participant of several affiliate programs, including Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate ipoki.com earns from qualifying purchases.