Want to know a fun fact? Honeywell International is the fourth-largest conglomerate globally and the second-largest in the United States. They make all sorts of products, serving the engineering, automotive, and aerospace sectors, with the latter being their cash cow. In 2020, they brought in over $30 billion in sales, which is the kind of revenue you can only expect from a conglomerate.
Being a conglomerate, they make all sorts of things, many of which do not fall into their broadest categories. For instance, they make all kinds of home appliances, including thermostats.
A thermostat is one of the most integral elements of your home for your comfort. Without a good one, you’ll find yourself either too cold or too hot at the wrong times. Honeywell makes excellent thermostats, and if you’re reading this, chances are that you have one, and you agree.
Just like rebooting your smartphone every once in a while, doing a Honeywell thermostat reset every so often can help keep the device running in optimal condition.
The Honeywell thermostat reset procedure doesn’t have to be difficult. Unfortunately, the Internet disagrees. These smart thermostats are known for being super-easy to set up, activate, and use on a day-to-day basis. But, when it comes to resetting these devices, many customers have complained about how complicated the whole process is.
I understand the frustration behind these complaints. Apart from some lengthy, hard-to-read manuals, there are no succinct Honeywell reset instructions on the Internet. So, I’m here to fill that void. Here’s everything you need to know about resetting your Honeywell thermostat.
Do you have a particular question about Honeywell reset? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
Here's what we'll cover:
- Why is My Honeywell Thermostat Not Working?
- How to Reprogram a Honeywell Thermostat?
- Reasons For Resetting A Honeywell Thermostat
- Does Honeywell Thermostat Have a Reset Button?
- Where Is The Reset Button On My Honeywell Thermostat?
- How to Reset Honeywell Thermostat with No Reset Button?
- Honeywell Thermostat Reset Final Thoughts
Why is My Honeywell Thermostat Not Working?
Let’s kick things off with some common issues. Firstly, you might have a problem with your HVAC system, not the thermostat itself. So, before you start cursing your Honeywell smart, Honeywell 9000, or Honeywell programmable thermostat, make sure you check out the heart of your heating and cooling first.
And hey, don’t forget the power source. The wall plate might be your device’s lifeline, but what happens when the battery compartment runs out of juice? You got it, friend, the thermostat stops working. That’s why it’s a good idea to check and possibly change those batteries.
On the tech-savvy side of things, Wi-Fi issues might be to blame. Smart thermostats like the Honeywell smart and lyric round models need a steady Wi-Fi connection. So, if your home’s Wi-Fi is on the fritz, this might be causing the trouble. A Wi-Fi reset might be all you need to get your thermostat back up and running.
In some cases, your Honeywell thermostat might not be working because it’s locked, and you’ve forgotten the four-digit pin. We’ve all been there, no judgment here. A quick unlock should sort this out!
Now, I know it sounds wild, but have you checked the date code? For many Honeywell models, an outdated date code can cause some pretty wonky behavior. But fear not, this is an easy fix. Just make sure the date code is correct, and you should be good to go.
Sometimes, an app can also be causing problems. If you’re using the Honeywell Home app, a simple update might be all that’s needed. If an update doesn’t do the trick, you might need to delete the app and install it anew. I know, a pain in the neck, but sometimes it’s the only way.
But, dear readers, if you’ve tried all these and your Honeywell thermostat is still acting up, it might be time to wave the white flag and go for a reset. Whether it’s a factory reset, Wi-Fi reset, or schedule reset, hitting that reset button can help you get your Honeywell thermostat back to working properly.
How to Reprogram a Honeywell Thermostat?
There are two types of Honeywell thermostats in the market: classic-styled thermostats with multiple buttons on them and ones with modern, touchscreen designs. Here’s how you reprogram both these types of thermostats:
How to Set an Older Honeywell Thermostat?
To reprogram a classic thermostat like the Honeywell Pro 1000 or 2000 series, you’ll have to manually rotate the circular dial on the device. Look for the dial near the heating/cooling switch and rotate it to reprogram the thermostat.
How to Reprogram a Digital Honeywell Thermostat?
The following reprogramming technique applies to all Honeywell thermostat models that come with buttons or touchscreens:
- Plug your thermostat into a power source; if you have a battery-powered unit, make sure you’re using fresh batteries
- Press/touch the Menu button on your thermostat
- Select the option called “Schedule”
- On the display, you’ll see the days of the week
- Create custom temperature settings based on whether you want heating/cooling
- Press “Select” to establish the period of your heating/cooling schedule
- To adjust the time, select the “Time” option and use the “+” and “-” buttons
- Press the “Done” button to save the changes you made for your settings and schedule
If you want to modify your saved schedule, follow steps 1-3. Then, once the days of the week are on display, select the specific day you want to edit by using the “+” and “-” buttons. You can also re-edit time your time settings in the same way. Here’s a helpful video guide on this topic that you should check out:
Reasons For Resetting A Honeywell Thermostat
Why reset, you ask? Resetting doesn’t just help fix glitches. It can also help when you’re changing the number of programmed settings on the thermostat, like the schedule. Maybe you’ve moved house, and the previous occupant’s schedule doesn’t match yours. A schedule reset can save the day!
Or perhaps you’ve locked the thermostat and forgotten the four-digit pin. Don’t sweat, a reset will unlock your thermostat. If you’re struggling to get your thermostat to its original settings, or if it’s just not working as expected, then honey, it might be time for a factory reset.
But fear not! With my step-by-step instructions, you’ll learn how to reset your Honeywell thermostat effortlessly. Whether you need to reset the Wi-Fi, the schedule, or perform a factory reset, I’ll show you how to reset your device and get it back to factory settings.
Does Honeywell Thermostat Have a Reset Button?
No. Most Honeywell thermostats, especially digital models, don’t have specific buttons on their display interfaces. But, you can revert your thermostat to factory settings in different ways.
For example, the Honeywell T5 and T6 series models feature a mode called “quick access reset.” To activate this mode, just press and hold down the menu button. A reset option will automatically appear.
Where Is The Reset Button On My Honeywell Thermostat?
Resetting your device can feel like a treasure hunt, especially if you’re working with different models, like the Honeywell 8000 series, honeywell 6000wf series, honeywell smart and lyric round, or honeywell 9000 series. But remember, each thermostat, whether it’s a Honeywell programmable thermostat or a Honeywell lyric, has its unique way of resetting.
For most models, you’ll find the reset located on the side of the thermostat or at the back of the thermostat. But hold your horses! Before you go pressing anything, make sure you turn off the thermostat. You don’t want to end up short-circuiting anything.
So, for those who don’t know how to reset, here’s the drill: First, remove the thermostat from the wall carefully. Be gentle—you don’t want to rip anything out. Check the back or side of the device. Spot a tiny button or pinhole? Bingo! That’s your reset button.
You might need a small, pointy object to press the button, especially if it’s a pinhole. A paperclip usually does the trick. Hold it in for about five seconds, then release. The thermostat should restart, and voila, it should start working properly.
Now, if you have the Honeywell 9000 Wi-Fi model or one of the latest models with a touch screen, the process might differ. You’ll need to access the settings on the thermostat’s screen. Dive into the menu, and you should find the factory default settings or reset options.
How to Reset Honeywell Thermostat with No Reset Button?
There are three different types of resets that you can perform on your Honeywell Thermostat:
- Factory Reset: Giving your thermostat a factory reset will essentially wipe its slate clean and restore its original factory settings.
- Wi-Fi Reset: This reset helps clear the network memory and solve connectivity issues.
- Schedule Reset: Resetting your programmable thermostat’s schedule will delete any pre-scheduled functions on the device. It’s the same as reprogramming the device.
Let’s focus on learning the first one: how to factory reset different Honeywell thermostat models.
Old Honeywell Thermostat Reset Techniques for Honeywell 1000 & 2000 Series
Old Honeywell reset procedures tend to be very complicated, especially for very old models like the Honeywell Pro 1000/2000 series. I’ll try to simplify as much as I can:
- Use the control switch on the bottom of the thermostat to turn it off
- Open your home’s breaker-box
- Shut off the power source (circuit) connected to your thermostat; if you can’t decipher which circuit is connected to your thermostat, turn off your home’s power supply entirely
- Gently unmount the thermostat from the wall
- Take the batteries out of the device
- Now, reinstall the batteries in the opposite orientation; align the batteries’ negative poles with the battery compartment’s positive poles & vice-versa
- Wait for 10-20 seconds and then remove & and reinsert the batteries, this time in the correct orientation
- Remount the unit on the wall and restore power to the circuit
Turn the thermostat back on. It’s now completely reset to its original factory settings.
How to Reset Honeywell 4000 Series Thermostats (Programmable)
Resetting this newer, programmable unit is much easier compared to its predecessors. To reset 4000 Series thermostats, take the following steps:
- On the left side of the device’s user interface, find the button called “Set”
- Press and hold this button while the thermostat is on
- While holding down the “Set” button, find the “Reset” button on the right side of the thermostat’s user interface
- Use a slender object to press down the “Reset” button
Hold both buttons down simultaneously for 5-10 seconds. Once you release them, the Honeywell reset procedure will be complete.
Honeywell 6000WF Series Thermostats
To factory reset Honeywell thermostats from the “smart” 6000WF series:
- Press and hold the [↑] button (the up button)
- At the same time, press and hold the “Fan” button
- While holding down both buttons, change the number displayed on the left-hand side of the screen to “90”
- At the same time, change the number displayed on the right-hand side of the screen to “1”
- Release both buttons
- Press “Done”
How to Reset Honeywell Thermostats with Touchscreen
Honeywell thermostats with touchscreen displays like models 8320WF & 8580WF are very easy to factory reset:
- On the unit’s touchscreen, press the “System” button
- A row of blank boxes will appear at the bottom of the screen
- Press and hold the center box
- Now set the numbers of the left-hand and right-hand sides of the screen
- The number on the left-hand side of the screen should be set to “0710”
- The number on the right-hand side of the screen should be set to “1”
- Press “Done”
How to Reset Honeywell’s T-Series of Thermostats
T5 and T6 Thermostats from Honeywell’s T-Series are also very easy to reset:
- On the thermostat, press & hold the “Menu” button
- Go through all the options to find the option titled “Reset”
- Press “Reset” and confirm your decision by selecting “Yes”
Here’s a video guide that further simplifies this process:
Factory resetting your Honeywell thermostat will solve most of its glitches. In this article, I’ve covered the reset techniques for the most popular thermostats from the brand. While most of the techniques I mentioned only involve pressing a few buttons, some will require you to remove, uninstall, and re-install the unit. If you don’t have prior experience with such tasks, I strongly recommend you hire a qualified professional to get the job done safely.
Honeywell Thermostat Reset Final Thoughts
So, there you have it, folks. We’ve navigated the steps to reset your Honeywell thermostat, and hopefully, you’ve managed to get your thermostat up and running. But keep in mind, resetting doesn’t always fix every issue. If your thermostat is still giving you the cold shoulder (or the hot head), it’s time to roll up your sleeves and dive into more troubleshooting tips or, if worst comes to worst, call a pro.
Remember, resetting your thermostat should be a last-ditch effort. It’s like admitting defeat and starting from scratch. All your carefully scheduled temperature control settings will be lost, and you’ll have to program them all over again. So, before you hit the reset, make sure you’ve exhausted all your other options.
Honeywell thermostats are sturdy little devices, and whether you’re using the Honeywell Smart, Lyric Round, or one of the 8000 or 9000 series thermostats, they’re designed to keep your home comfy and cozy. Sometimes, they just need a little TLC (and an occasional reset) to keep them performing at their best.
And hey, if you’re in the market for a new thermostat, why not consider the latest models? With advanced features and smarter temperature control, you might find that a new thermostat is just what you need to keep your home at the perfect temperature all year round.
So, until next time, happy temperature controlling, and remember, if in doubt, there’s always Honeywell Home Support to fall back on.
Credits: Thanks for the photo to Canva.
At ipoki.com we only mention the products that we’ve researched and considered worthy. But it’s important to mention that we are a participant of several affiliate programs, including Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate ipoki.com earns from qualifying purchases.