Minecraft is one of the most popular video games of all time. This isn’t hyperbole, either. Since its launch almost a decade ago in 2011, it has sold over 200 million copies. This number makes Minecraft the best-selling video game of all time, even above titles like Tetris.
What makes Minecraft so unique is that despite its launch so long ago, it still recorded 126 million active players in May of 2020. Few games can boast of such high sales numbers and active players, perhaps besides Grand Theft Auto V.
No matter your age, you can find a lot of fun to be had in Minecraft. Some aspects of the game aren’t explicitly stated. For instance, how long is a Minecraft day? After all, in Minecraft, the day is the safest time to get your tasks done, while the night is when the monsters come out, looking to hurt you. Luckily for you, I’ve got you covered with the answers you’re looking for. Hopefully, knowing the Minecraft day length can make your play more strategic and enjoyable.
Do you have a particular question about the daytime in Minecraft? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
Here's what we'll cover:
How to set time in Minecraft?
Many people are not aware of this, but you can make some changes to your Minecraft game with the use of Commands. By typing specific text into the chatbox, you can control the game in ways that are otherwise not possible. Setting the time is one of these things that you can do, but only after ensuring that Cheats are enabled in the settings.
To use a Minecraft time command, do the following:
- Enter the chat window. The means to do this differs based on the platform the game is being played on. If it is not already displayed, press T to bring it up on PC.
- You can set the time to a specific time of day in the game by using either an integer value, which translates to the hour of the day, or a tag that indicates which time of day you want:
- Type “/time set <hour>,” where <hour> is replaced by a number, such as 1000 for daytime or 13000 for the night. The maximum is 24000.
- Type “/time set <time>” where <time> is replaced by the specific phase of the Minecraft day cycle. The options are sunrise, day, noon, night, midnight, and sunset.
- Press enter or its equivalent to send the message.
How long is a day in Minecraft?
A Minecraft day is obviously not as long as an entire day. There is a whole day and night cycle in the game, but it completes in a matter of minutes. A full day in Minecraft time to real-time is 20 minutes.
A Minecraft day completes 72 times faster than a normal day. So, one second in the real world is 72 seconds in Minecraft.
How long does the night last in Minecraft?
A night in Minecraft lasts from what would be 7PM to 5AM. In ticks, this is 13000 to 23000 ticks. These 10 hours in Minecraft time convert to just a bit over 8 minutes in real time.
How long is a Minecraft tick?
A tick is essentially the equivalent of a second in the Minecraft world. Knowing how to convert Minecraft ticks to seconds helps hardcore players manage their in-game days better. And give you a better understanding when setting the time in-game, as I earlier showed you how to do. A Minecraft tick is simply a twentieth of a real world second. This means that there are 20 ticks in a real second. If you’re wondering how many Minecraft ticks to minutes there are, the answer is 1200 ticks per minute.
How many ticks in a Minecraft day?
There are 24000 ticks in a Minecraft day. The day starts at 0 ticks and works its way up to an eventual 24000. If you’re looking for Minecraft ticks to seconds converter, then knowing that simply dividing the number of ticks by 20 can give you the equivalent in seconds.
How to change time in Minecraft?
I mentioned Minecraft set time commands earlier in this article. However, there is an additional way to alter time in the game.
- Open the chat window.
- Type in “/time add <ticks>,” where <ticks> is replaced by the number of ticks by which you want to advance into the future. For instance, a player at 1000 is in the daytime. By typing “/time add 5000”, their new time becomes 6000, which is noon. This can be used for very precise jumps in time.
- Send the message to effect the changes.
How to make days longer in Minecraft?
If you’re on the lookout for a Minecraft day command to make the daytime stretch on longer, then you may not find exactly what you are looking for. It is possible to achieve this by using commands integrated with in-game items, but it is a complex process. One way to accomplish this manually would be to use “/time set day” whenever it starts getting dark to jump back to the daytime.
However, with the use of mods like this, it is possible to automate this process. Though, this only applies to the Java edition on PC.
How to make it always daytime in Minecraft?
For players who just want to build and not worry about monsters, they’d love a way to get Minecraft permanent day. Luckily, this is extremely simple to pull off.
- Open the chat window.
- Type in “/gamerule doDaylightCycle false” to disable the changes in time.
- If it was daytime when you did this, you’re good to go. If not, use “/time set day” to move to the daytime, and you’re good to go!
Credits: Thanks for the photo to Canva.
At ipoki.com we only mention the products that we’ve researched and considered worthy. But it’s important to mention that we are a participant of several affiliate programs, including Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate ipoki.com earns from qualifying purchases.