Minecraft is the best-selling game of all time. If you didn’t know this before, then you might be surprised to hear it now. You wonder about games like Super Mario and Tetris. Still, the truth is, no game has crossed the 200 million sales mark besides Minecraft, and that says a lot about it.
Besides having sold so many copies, of those over 200 million, there are 140 million players who still play every month! Minecraft is truly a special thing, and I’d say its success is since it allows people to do exactly what they want to do. You can build what you want, play the way you want, and even look the way you want.
On that last point, the game offers a lot of customization options, including the choice of different skins, and in some cases, custom skins. You may not know exactly how to change Minecraft skin, but you’re bound to have seen other players or YouTubers who do, so you know it’s possible.
If that’s what you came here for, I will show you how you can change Minecraft skin and so many other things related to that. By the time you’re done with this article, you’ll be a pro at everything related to Minecraft skins.
Do you have a particular question about how to change your skin in Minecraft? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
Here's what we'll cover:
- What are skins in Minecraft?
- How to use a Minecraft skin?
- What is a default Minecraft skin?
- How to change skin color in Minecraft skin?
- What is the best way to get a new Minecraft skin quickly without downloading anything?
- Where can you download a Minecraft skin?
- How to change skin in Minecraft Java Edition?
- How to change skin in Minecraft on Windows?
- How to change skin in Minecraft on Mac?
- How to add skins to Minecraft?
- How to change your Minecraft skin without going to Minecraft.net
- How to get custom skins on Minecraft?
- How to make a Minecraft skin that looks like you?
What are skins in Minecraft?
The easy way to describe the skin is what your character model ‘wears.’ A skin is an image file used to produce your character’s appearance in-game.
Skins come in all sorts of colors and styles, so it is usually very easy to find one that you like a lot. There are default skins that come with every copy of Minecraft, there are skins you can download, and then you can even add skins to Minecraft of your own creation.
How to use a Minecraft skin?
Using a Minecraft skin is quite straightforward. Once you have Minecraft open, follow these steps from the start screen.
- Click on “Profile.”
- Go to “Edit Character.”
- From here, you can choose one of the many available skins, including some that can be purchased.
From in-game, do the following:
- Pause and select “Help & Options.”
- Click on “Change Skin.”
- From there, you can choose between default skins or look through downloadable ones.
What is a default Minecraft skin?
A default Minecraft skin is any that comes with the game and is available without purchasing or downloading anything new.
There are two default Minecraft skins. These are “Steve” and “Alex.” Steve can be considered the face of Minecraft, and Alex is his female counterpart.
Anyone playing the game for the first time can choose between these two skins. There is no difference in how the game plays, regardless of the skins you decide to use.
How to change skin color in Minecraft skin?
Minecraft offers a lot of customization options for your character. Thanks to this, you can construct a skin using the available preset options. This includes being able to change your character’s skin color.
The process for changing Minecraft skin color is quite simple and is mostly identical regardless of the platform. It goes like this:
- From the start screen, click on “Profile.”
- Click on “Edit Character.”
- On the left side, make sure you are on the first tab (the one that looks like two half-faces).
- Click on “Body.”
- Click on “Base.”
- Now, just select “Color” or the palette icon to choose the skin color!
What is the best way to get a new Minecraft skin quickly without downloading anything?
If you want to rock with a new Minecraft skin and don’t want to waste too much time, you can get new skin packs straight from within the game.
Note that some of these packs need to be purchased with real money. However, some of them are free.
To get new packs, just do the following:
- Open Minecraft and enter the Marketplace.
- Click on “Skin Packs” to view the available skin packs.
- Look through the options there, and you may sometimes come across a free skin pack!
That way is a bit cumbersome, so there’s another way you can look got new skins, and it is likely to be faster.
- Click on “Profile.”
- Click on “Edit Character.”
- Tap on the second tab, or the one that looks like three characters standing together.
- This will take you to the “Classic Skins” tab.
- You will see some skins here, some with a little lock and some without.
- Those without the lock are free, and you can equip them right there!
Where can you download a Minecraft skin?
You can download Minecraft skins in-game from the Marketplace. Most of these need to be purchased. And this is something that, understandably, many do not want to do. Besides the Marketplace, Minecraft.net skins cannot be gotten anywhere else on the domain.
Well, fortunately, there are many external platforms where you can download skins. These are typically free, and you can find all sorts of things here. Just download them and add the custom skin to the game later. We’ll talk about how to upload Minecraft skins a little later.
Great and safe sites where you can download Minecraft skins include the following:
- Planet Minecraft. There are nearly 1.6 million skins available for download on this site. Of course, these are all user-uploaded, so there’s no accounting for the quality of a majority of those. Still, thanks to the fantastic filtering options, you’re bound to find thousands that fit your taste perfectly.
- MinecraftSkins.net. is another great platform and is a good place to come if you don’t want to spend too much time searching but want a great-looking skin regardless. These all seem to be well-curated, with no room for anyone to upload.
- The Skindex. This site is also home to a ridiculous number of skins, thanks to their open-to-user uploads. If you want to upload Minecraft skin or two, there’s no better place.
How to change skin in Minecraft Java Edition?
There are fewer in-game options for skin customization in Minecraft Java Edition. However, regardless, you can still upload skins to the game and use them. It might be tricky to figure out how to do this if you’ve spent most of your time playing the Bedrock Edition. Fortunately, it is actually quite easy to do, and I’m going to show you how to get it done.
- Open your Minecraft launcher but don’t start the game yet.
- There should be a set of buttons at the top of the screen that opens different tabs. Click on “Skins.”
- Once you’re in the skins menu, click on the big plus sign that has “New skin” written beneath it at the right panel of that screen.
- You can then browse your computer for where you downloaded the skins to.
- Select the specific skin you want to use and press “Open” to load it in.
- You can then give the skin a name.
- You’ll see two options under the title of “Player Model.” These refer to the size of your character’s body. What are the differences between Minecraft slim vs. classic skins, you ask? The Steve skin has bigger arms, and that’s the “Classic.” Alex is a bit thinner, so choose “Slim” if that’s the kind of body frame you want the skin to have.
- Click “Save & Use” once you’re satisfied.
How to change skin in Minecraft on Windows?
You can download skins on Minecraft as described in previous sections. Still, to upload custom skins from other websites when playing Minecraft on the Windows 10 version, you’ll have to go through a different route than on the Java Edition of the game.
Worry not though, it is not complicated. Follow these steps I’ve provided, and you’ll get it done relatively quickly.
- From the Minecraft start screen, click on “Profile.”
- Click on “Edit Character.”
- You can choose from skins that you have already downloaded from this screen through the Classic Skins tab.
- To change to a custom skin that you have downloaded, click on “Owned” and then “Import” from the Classic Skins tab, which may appear as a blank character silhouette on a button.
- From here, you can browse and select the custom skin.
How to change skin in Minecraft on Mac?
The Minecraft skin changer on Mac systems is pretty much the same as on Windows systems.
You can download the skins from the same places listed above, such as Planet Minecraft and The Skindex, and they will work exactly the same on Mac as they would on Windows.
Go to the Profile screen, Edit Character, the Classic Skins tab, and finally, Import. This is how it works on the Bedrock version of the game.
However, the Java Edition is also available for Mac. You can add skins the same way you would with the Java Edition on Windows. Of course, you can only choose skins that you get from external sites as there’s no marketplace to access in this version of the game.
How to add skins to Minecraft?
I know that I’ve talked a lot about how to get new skins on Minecraft and how to upload custom skins as well, but there’s one method that I haven’t spoken about. I personally don’t prefer this method, but it may be good if you want to upload skins at a time that you don’t have access to your Minecraft game, such as when at a friend’s house.
To do this, follow the steps that I outline below. Note that this version will only work for Minecraft Java Edition on your computer.
- Go to the Minecraft.net login page.
- Enter your email address and password and log in.
- Click on your username at the top of the screen and select “Profile”.
- From the screen that appears, there should be a button that says “Skin”. Select that.
- From here, you will be able to choose an image file to serve as your new skin, and you can upload that to the server.
- When you enter Minecraft next, you will be wearing your brand-new skin proudly!
How to change your Minecraft skin without going to Minecraft.net
Suppose you don’t want to go through the Minecraft.net skin-changer like I just described above. In that case, you can use any of the in-game methods that I have described, regardless of the platform that you’re on. Whether you’re on Java Edition or Bedrock Edition, there’s more than one way to change your skins, and that’s awesome.
How to get custom skins on Minecraft?
Getting yourself a custom skin can be done in a few seconds by visiting any of the major skin sites, like Planet Minecraft, The Skindex, and Minecraft skins.
However, the skins that are most befitting of the term ‘custom’ are the ones you make yourself. So, you can do that, and it’s actually a lot of fun.
Just have fun! You won’t make professional skins at the start, but all you need is a lot of practice, and you’ll get the hang of it.
How to make a Minecraft skin that looks like you?
You can use the Character Creator in the Bedrock versions of Minecraft to make a character that really looks like you. You have the option to change a lot of features of the character’s appearance and clothing. This is the fastest way to do it, though the likeness won’t be super accurate.
The other way you can do it is to make a custom skin like was detailed in the previous section. It will take more time, but you can make the one just like your want it to be.
Credits: Thanks for the photo to Canva.
At ipoki.com we only mention the products that we’ve researched and considered worthy. But it’s important to mention that we are a participant of several affiliate programs, including Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate ipoki.com earns from qualifying purchases.