How to unpair Amazon Fire Tv remote? Millions of Fire TV users worldwide have this question on their minds. Since its launch in 2014, Amazon has sold 150+ million Fire TVs across the world. These streaming devices have changed the way people consume movies and shows. Users stream billions of hours of content on their Fire TVs every year.
But, the wireless remotes that come with these devices are not particularly easy to use. So, when Firestick remotes stop working, users feel panicked. So, if your Amazon controller is not working, you should check whether it has fresh batteries. If it does and it’s still not working properly, resetting or unpairing it from your Fire TV will help.
You can’t pair new devices or controllers with your Fire Stick without unpairing your old remote. This guide will explore how to unpair Amazon fire stick remote in the easiest way possible. Unpairing your remote will allow you to build fresh connections with the streaming stick. It will also fix any other bugs ruining your viewing experience.
Do you have a particular question about unpairing Amazon Fire TV remote? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
How to Unpair My Firestick Remote?
Before you learn how to unpair a remote from TV, identify what type of Firestick remote you have. There are five distinct Amazon Fire TV stick models that have hit the market so far –
- First-generation Fire TV Stick (released in 2014)
- Second-generation Fire TV Stick (released in 2016)
- First-generation Fire TV Stick Lite (released in 2020)
- Third-generation Fire TV Stick (released in 2020)
- First-generation Fire TV Stick 4K (released in 2018)
The first-generation Fire TV Stick from 2014 is the smallest model in terms of size. It’s only 3.3 inches or 84.9 millimeters long. The latter models are all bigger in size. Their sizes have increased, with 2020’s third-generation Fire TV Stick being the biggest. Use these size-related details to determine which Firestick model you own.
Resetting Firestick Remote Control – Why Do It?
There are mainly two reasons why Fire TV users will want to learn how to unpair a remote from the TV –
- First is when users lose their Firestick remotes but have spares. If that spare remote is already paired to another device, unpairing it is the only option users have. After unpairing the spare remote, the user can pair it with his/her TV.
- The second reason is connectivity issues. When users’ Firesticks don’t respond to commands, resetting Firestick remote control is the best solution. Unpairing and re-pairing the irresponsive remote can fix all connectivity issues.
Either way, all Firestick users must learn how to disconnect the remote from TV. This information can help them get the most out of their Firestick devices.
How to Unpair Amazon Fire Stick Remote?
When you sync Amazon remote to TV, you get two options. First is to pair only one remote with the Firestick. The second is to pair two remotes simultaneously with the streaming device. So, there are two scenarios that you’ll have to potentially deal with.
Scenario #1. You’re Using Just One Remote with the Firestick
To unpair your only remote, you’ll need another device ready to be paired up with the Firestick. You can unpair the first remote only after you pair another device or remote. Here’s a helpful guide on pairing devices/remotes with firesticks. Once you sync Amazon remote to the TV, you can unpair the first remote.
Scenario #2. You’re Using Two Remotes Simultaneously
To unpair one of the two paired remotes, take the following using the other remote –
- Go to your home screen and navigate to “Settings.”
- Select the option that says “Controllers and Bluetooth Devices.”
- Use the navigational keys to select a sub-option called “Amazon Fire TV Remotes.”
- Select the remote that you wish to unpair.
- Press the unpair button (it looks something like “☰”).
- Use the “Select” button to indicate the remote you wish to keep synced or paired.
You’ll notice that the other remote has been unpaired. You can now reset the remote to fix any connectivity issues or bugs.
What If I Lost My Amazon Fire Stick Remote?
Can you reconnect the remote to Firestick without using an existing, already-paired remote? Yes. Many users lose their only Fire TV remote. Users need to install the “Amazon Fire TV app” on their phones to use the Firestick with no remote.
- Download the Amazon Fire TV app from the Android or iOS app stores.
- Install it on your smartphone & log in to your existing Amazon account.
- Ensure the two devices are connected on a common & secure Wi-Fi network.
- Once you’re signed in, the app on your smartphone will instantly detect the Fire TV.
- Select the Fire TV on the app.
- You’ll be asked to share a 4-digit code.
- Enter this code on the app & press Next.
- You’ll be redirected to a User Interface that looks identical to your Fire TV’s remote.
- Use the navigation keys on the Fire TV App as your temporary Firestick Remote.
- Now, open the Settings section on the Firestick.
- Head over to the option that says “Controllers & Bluetooth Devices.”
- Select the sub-category “Amazon Fire TV Remotes.”
- Click on the option that reads “Add New Remote.”
Initiate the pairing process to sync Amazon remote to TV via the Amazon Fire TV App.
To reconnect Firestick remote with ease you need to learn how to use the Amazon Fire TV App. The app makes pairing or unpairing new devices with your Firestick very easy. Just remember to use a strong internet connection. Also, keep the remote within a 10-feet distance of the Firestick at all times.
Credits: Thanks for the photo to Canva.
At ipoki.com we only mention the products that we’ve researched and considered worthy. But it’s important to mention that we are a participant of several affiliate programs, including Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate ipoki.com earns from qualifying purchases.