Are you a big fan of PC gaming, but your PS4 controller is not connecting to your PC? You’re not alone. The motion control features in this interactive controller are incredibly good. That’s why despite being designed specifically for the Sony PlayStation 4, the DualShock 4 is very popular among PC gamers. However, on paper, the DualShock 4 is not meant to be used for PC games.
That’s why the Internet is full of gamers asking the question: Why is my controller not connecting to my PC? So, is there any way to connect PS4 controller to PC? Yes, there is. PCs are extremely powerful and flexible machines. With a little effort, you can get all types of peripherals to work on them, including the DualShock 4 controller.
In this article, we’ll discuss the easiest ways to use a PS4 controller on PC. If your PS4 controller won’t connect to PC, we’ll teach you some troubleshooting techniques & recommend some free third-party tools to fix that issue.
Do you have a particular question about PS4 controller not connecting to PC? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
Here's what we'll cover:
How to Connect PS4 Controller to PC?
The easiest way to connect a PlayStation 4 controller to a PC is via a USB cable. To build this connection, you’ll need two things:
- The micro-USB cable you use to charge the PS4 controller
- Active Steam account
Most PC gamers have Steam accounts. They can use these accounts to connect their PS4 controllers to their PCs. Here’s how:
- Open the Steam app on your PC
- in the top-right region of the screen, find & click on the “Big Picture Mode” icon (it looks like a rectangle with two arrows pointing out)
- After activating Big Picture Mode, look for a gear-shaped Settings icon in the top-right region of the screen
- Click on this Settings icon
- Inside the Settings page, go to a section titled “Controller”
- Under the Controller section, select the option titled “Controller Settings”
- You’ll find a box for “PlayStation Configuration Support”; check it (ü)
- Using the micro-USB cable, plug the PlayStation 4 controller into your PC
You’ll notice the backlight on your controller glows. This light indicates that the connection has been established. Now, you need to wait for Steam to automatically detect your controller. You don’t need to configure anything. Just click on the controller icon when it appears at the bottom section of your Steam account’s page.
But what if this method doesn’t work & your PS4 controller not connecting with USB? Don’t panic. Steam often fails to detect PS4 controllers. If your Steam account can’t see your PS4 controller, you’ll need to use third-party software like DS4Windows.
Why Won’t my PS4 Controller Connect to My PC?
There are many possible reasons why your wired PS4 controller is not working on PC. Some of the most common reasons include the following:
- Steam Client Glitch: Glitches may occur with your Steam account due to improper controller setups.
- PS4 Controller Malfunction: Your controller’s drivers or firmware may be out-of-date or damaged.
- PC Issues: Your PC may have outdated drivers. Such PCs typically have malfunctioning USB ports. They’re also likelier to have Bluetooth connectivity issues.
- Windows OS Bugs: Your OS may be out-of-date or corrupted.
- Bluetooth Signal Interferences: If your PlayStation controller is not connecting to your PC via Bluetooth. Then it may be experiencing Signal Interferences from nearby sources. To ensure that’s not the case, remove all other Bluetooth devices from your room.
PS4 Controller Connected but Not Working PC
What if your PS4 controller paired but not working PC? This is another common issue PC gamers face. To fix this Bluetooth glitch, try disabling & then re-enabling your PC’s Bluetooth from the Windows Settings. Then, keep trying to pair your device to your PC until the connection is established.
How to Fix PS4 Controller Not Connecting to PS4?
There’s a way to fix the PS4 controller not working on PC issues that even non-Steam users can apply. Unfortunately, it involves using DS4Windows, a freeware program that can deceive your PC into thinking that it’s connected to an Xbox 360 controller – not a DualShock 4 controller. Here’s how you can use this program to connect a PS4 controller to your PC:
- On your PC’s web browser, visit the DS4 Windows website. You’ll be redirected to GitHub; here, find and download the DS4Windows.zip file onto your computer
- Find the downloaded ZIP file on your PC
- Open the file
- Double-click on the file titled “DS4Updater” and select “Extract All”
- Select a memorable & easy-to-access location on your PC for the zipped files to be extracted to
- Once extracted, open the folder where the files were extracted to
- Find & double-click on a program file called “DS4Windows”
- You’ll be asked to verify your decision to run the program
- Click Run
- Save the program’s files in the App-Data folder on your PC
- Now, install the DS4 Driver
- Let the program install its files
Restart your PC. Then, connect the controller to your PC with a micro-USB cable. Now that DS4Windows is installed on your PC, the machine will now assume that it’s being controlled by an Xbox 360 controller.
How to Calibrate PS4 Controller on PC?
Is your PS4 controller connected to PC but not working? It may not be working because it isn’t calibrated correctly. To ensure that’s not the case, you need to use a tool known as the Calibration Tool. Only Windows 10 PCs come with this tool. It can help calibrate your PS4 controller. Here’s how you can use this tool:
- Make sure your Windows 10 PC can read the PS4 controller
- Go to Settings
- Enter the “Devices and Printers” section
- Find your PS4 controller on the list
- Right-click on the controller
- A drop-down menu will pop up; on this menu, select “Game Controller Settings”
- A new window will open; on this window, select “Properties”
- A new “Settings” tab will open; on this tab, select “Reset to Default”
Select “OK” to complete this process. Your PS4 controller will now have a refreshed calibration. To learn how to custom-calibrate your PS4 controller using the Calibration Tool, check out this video guide:
How to Reconnect My PS4 Controller to My PC: The Final Take
What if these solutions work for the first time. But the next day, you find that your PS4 controller is not connecting to your PC again? What should you do next? The best thing to do is to re-enact all the steps mentioned in this article.
Thankfully, most PC gamers who use the DS4Windows tool don’t have to face the “PS4 controller connected but not working” issue more than once.
We hope the same happens to you. Once you learn how to connect a DualShock 4 to your PC gaming rig using the DS4Windows tool, you won’t face too many connection issues!
Credits: Thanks for the photo to Canva.
At ipoki.com we only mention the products that we’ve researched and considered worthy. But it’s important to mention that we are a participant of several affiliate programs, including Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate ipoki.com earns from qualifying purchases.