If you’re one of the world’s tech giants, it’s surprising not to have your video-on-demand service yet. This is probably why it shocked almost no one to see Apple get into the game. Still, before that, Amazon was there with Prime Video. There are so many competitors in the market. So it is pretty admirable that Prime Video has claimed almost one-fifth of the market, putting it in second place, only behind the indomitable Netflix.
As of late 2020, Amazon Prime Video had over 116 million subscribers, and that value is estimated to more than double by 2026. This just shows how huge the platform is. However, the truth is, with all the streaming services out there, not everyone can afford to subscribe to multiple each month. A study has been done which corroborates this. Users simply can’t keep subscribing!
This leads to the question that most of you may have. You want an Amazon Fire TV Stick because it has so many benefits. It can turn a ‘dumb’ TV into a smart TV, giving you access to the internet, apps, Alexa integration, and an array of movies and TV shows. But being an Amazon product, and with them putting Prime Video at the front and center of their software, you wonder whether you can use a Fire Stick without Prime.
That’s a great question, and there’s no better place for you to get an answer to that than here. So let’s jump right into what you need to know.
Do you have a particular question about using Fire Stick without Prime Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
Here's what we'll cover:
Do you need Amazon Prime for Fire Stick?
So, you’re out there wondering, do you need to have a subscription to Amazon Prime Video before taking advantage of all the benefits you get with the Fire Stick? Well, I’m sure you’ll be glad to hear that the answer is no. You do not need to have Amazon Prime before using your Fire Stick.
While you can use your Amazon Fire Stick without Prime, you must have a regular Amazon account. The good thing is that this is free, and you can register for it pretty much the same way you would register for any other online service.
Follow the link here to create an account with Amazon. Then, when you get your Fire TV Stick, you will just need to sign into that same account when setting it up, and that’s it! What’s even cooler is that if you buy it straight from Amazon’s website, it will come logged in to the account you used to buy it. If that’s not cool, I don’t know what is!
How can you use Amazon Fire Stick without a Prime account?
As I mentioned, you don’t need to have an Amazon Prime account or be subscribed to Prime Video to use your Amazon Fire TV Stick. Likewise, you can use your Fire TV Stick without Prime; the only difference you’ll notice is that you can’t stream apps from that streaming service. There’s no other effect on the experience.
Even without a Prime subscription, there are so many really cool things that you can use this streaming device to do. They include all of the following:
- Watch TV shows and movies on the other available streaming services
- Use voice commands to control the TV, using the Alexa-enabled remote control
- Connect to an Echo device in your home to control the TV without the remote control
- Browse the internet
- Download different apps
- Play video games
These are only some of the many things you can do on a Fire Stick without Prime, so if you’re thinking of getting one, you should go ahead! Don’t let not having a Prime membership be what stops you!
What can you watch on Amazon Fire Stick without Prime?
Now then, most of us who get any Amazon Fire TV product are doing it because we want to take advantage of the content we can watch with all the various streaming services available on the device.
So, you might be wondering, if you have an Amazon Fire Stick without Prime, what else can you watch that’s not Prime Video. The good part is that there are so many options. Let me guide you through some of my favorites.
However, remember that pretty much all of these are subscription-based just like Amazon Prime.
- YouTube: You might not consider this video-hosting site a streaming service, but I put it here for multiple reasons. First, it is free, which means you can use it without paying a dime. Second, there is so much great content here, no matter what niche you’re looking for.
- Netflix: This is the leading streaming service in terms of market share. You get access to so much content, and if you’re looking for movies that might have come out a few years ago, your best bet is that they’ve been put up on Netflix.
- Disney Plus: This is a relatively new player to the game, but such a great choice if you love blockbuster properties like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Star Wars, and Pixar content. Also, National Geographic is here for the lovers of documentaries.
- HBO Max: This is also relatively new, but you’ll find some of the most acclaimed TV series here, like The Sopranos and The Wire. You’ll also get quick digital access to content from DC Comics.
- Hulu: This platform doesn’t get enough love, but it’s hard to hate on it with the goof content you will find on it. They have originals, TV series, and movies you can watch on a Fire TV Stick without Prime.
Credits: Thanks for the photo to Canva.
At ipoki.com we only mention the products that we’ve researched and considered worthy. But it’s important to mention that we are a participant of several affiliate programs, including Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate ipoki.com earns from qualifying purchases.