PlayStation 4 is the second best-selling home game console of all time, with 116.3 million sales worldwide. That number is impressive, and it is dwarfed only by two handheld systems and the PlayStation 2 in top position (more than 155 million!).
If you’re reading this now, you’re one of those many people who have a PS4. It’s nice to meet you because I have one too! I think it is quite normal to want your PS4 to run the best it can, especially if you’re not in a particular rush to get the PS5.
One of the ways that you can do this is by changing the DNS for your PS4. Changing your DNS is something that the average gamer doesn’t bother doing (or maybe even knows how to), but it can potentially improve the network performance of your console.
If you’re on the prowl for the best DNS for PS4, then I’m glad to take you through everything that I know. Even if you don’t know how to change DNS on PS4, I’ll take you through that process too! Let’s get right into the good stuff then!
Do you have a particular question about the best DNS for PS4? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
Here's what we'll cover:
What are the advantages of using a different DNS on PS4?
DNS means Domain Name System. Think of this system as being a phonebook for the internet. Websites have URLs or addresses that you enter to access them. So, if a DNS server is just like an address book, you might be trying to wonder what the benefits are of switching to a different one. How can that possibly prove beneficial as a gamer?
Well, the best DNS for gaming will provide quite a few benefits. But among others, these are perhaps the most important are the following:
- The servers may be geographically closer. This allows for quicker sending and receiving of data.
- The servers may be more reliable than the ISP server, which may mean fewer issues and downtime.
- The server may be faster than the default one you use, allowing smoother processing of data requests.
How to change DNS on PS4?
Now, you need to know how to access the PS4 DNS settings so that you can switch to the best DNS server for gaming that is available to you. Fortunately, the UI for the PS4 is quite user-friendly, and you’ll be able to access the DNS settings PS4 without much stress.
To change DNS servers for PS4, follow the steps below:
- Go to the PS4 menu.
- Scroll to the right side and select Settings.
- Scroll down and choose the “Network” option.
- From here, select “Set Up Internet Connection” to modify network settings.
- The next step depends on which type of network connection you’re using with your PS4. If it is through Wi-Fi, pick “Use Wi-Fi,” If it is through a wired connection, select “Use a LAN Cable.”
- Now, pick “Custom.”
- For the IP Address Settings screen that shows up next, use “Automatic.”
- Now, for DHCP Host Name, “Do Not Specify” is the option to choose.
- The important part is to select “Manual” for DNS Settings seeing as we need to enter a custom DNS at this stage.
- You will see two sections for primary and secondary DNS PS4, so you can set the optimal DNS for you. Enter them as appropriate.
- Press “Next” once you’re done.
- For the next section: MTU Settings, select “Automatic.”
- For Proxy Server, choose “Do Not Use.”
That’s all you’ll need to do to change Playstation DNS servers. The console will take care of the rest of it.
What is the best DNS server for PS4?
Now that we know how to change the PS4 DNS let’s talk about the fastest DNS for PS4. To get better network performance from your PS4, you can switch the primary DNS PS4 and the secondary DNS PS4 to any following options. You’re very likely to notice a difference.
If you choose a PS4 DNS server from the list below, it is not only limited to the console, but you can use that same DNS on other devices like a smartphone or your computer.
Now then, let’s get into the vital part here, which is the DNS servers themselves. While all of these should work great, I think Google DNS PS4 and Cloudflare DNS PS4 are among the best options.
Primary DNS Address: 188.8.131.52
Secondary DNS Address: 184.108.40.206
Primary DNS Address: 220.127.116.11
Secondary DNS Address: 18.104.22.168
Primary DNS Address: 22.214.171.124
Secondary DNS Address: 126.96.36.199
Primary DNS Address: 188.8.131.52
Secondary DNS Address: 184.108.40.206
Primary DNS Address: 220.127.116.11
Secondary DNS Address: 18.104.22.168
Primary DNS Address: 22.214.171.124
Secondary DNS Address: 126.96.36.199
Primary DNS Address: 188.8.131.52
Secondary DNS Address: 184.108.40.206
How to find the best DNS for PS4 in my area?
If you’re trying to find the fastest DNS for PS4 based on where you live, then Namebench is likely to be your best option. I’ve found that using Namebench PS4 on my console gives me no issues whatsoever. It finds the best DNS server for gaming without wasting much time.
I’d definitely recommend it if you want to see the best DNS server for PS4 in your area without wasting much time. Here is the link to the application. Note that it is from Google, so if you ask me, it can definitely be trusted.
It will search through DNS servers for PS4. After completing the search, it will display everything on the screen, with the response time in milliseconds for each one so that you can make the most informed choice on the fastest DNS for PS4.
Follow these steps to use Namebench:
- Download the application from the link above and install it on your computer.
- Launch the program.
- Leave the first two boxes marked and choose the next two if you want. The third box is good if you’re worried about censorship, and the fourth is if you want to improve their service.
- Select your location.
- Click the “Start Benchmark” button to begin the process.
- After some minutes, your browser should launch onto a page with a list of the fastest DNS for PS4 and any other device you have.
- The app will also show you the speed of these PlayStation DNS servers and compare them to your current one.
Suppose any of them is preferable to the one you’re currently using. In that case, you can note down the address and use the instructions mentioned earlier to set the primary and secondary DNS PS4.
Credits: Thanks for the photo to Canva.
At ipoki.com we only mention the products that we’ve researched and considered worthy. But it’s important to mention that we are a participant of several affiliate programs, including Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate ipoki.com earns from qualifying purchases.