Xfinity is a company that offers a selection of services, including cable television, internet services, WiFi, and telephone services. They’re owned by Comcast Corporation, the largest internet service provider at home in the United States. They have the most subscribers, at more than 31 million people, which is massive. That’s why it’s no surprise that you have an Xfinity router and are looking for help.
You can always call someone to help you with your Xfinity modem setup. Still, I can understand that sometimes that might seem like an unnecessarily expensive option for something you might be able to do on your own. So, because of that, you’ve come looking for the steps to follow to set up your Xfinity new router by yourself.
So, here are the steps and important things you need to know regarding how to set up Xfinity WiFi router at home. Pay close attention and follow the steps; you shouldn’t run into any problems along the way. So, now that that’s been said, let’s get right into all the things you need to know.
Do you have a particular question about setting up Xfinity router? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
Here's what we'll cover:
How to set up a new Xfinity router?
Alright, so you just got yourself a new router from Xfinity, and now you’re looking for the steps to follow for a successful Xfinity router setup. Fortunately, the procedure for setting up Xfinity WiFi is a lot easier than you might have thought, which is why it’s great that you’ve decided to try it yourself.
Now, get the router in front of you. Then, what you’ve been able to ensure from the Xfinity router manual that everything that should come with it is present, you can get into the actual process. Now, let’s dive right into the actual Xfinity setup.
- The first step is to download the Xfinity app on your smartphone. This application is available on both Android and iOS devices. You can download Xfinity from the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. Launch the application and sign in. You should have the credentials from when you bought the router. If not, you can register for a new account to use.
- You will need to activate your xFi Gateway router as a new user. Tap “Get Started” to jump into the activation process.
- The app will want you to point out the device you wish to use for the Xfinity setup process. There is a QR code on the bottom or side of your router. Use your phone to scan the code to quickly set things up. However, if you find that you’re having issues scanning the QR code, you can enter the MAC address of the gateway instead, using only the alphanumeric symbols.
- You will need to find a permanent spot for the Xfinity router to reside in your home. Wherever you decide to place it, one requirement is that the Xfinity new router must be within reach of a coaxial cable line because you will need to plug in the cable! Also, when deciding on the spot, try to get it as close to the center of the structure and as high as possible to give all other rooms the best chance of a strong signal. Also, putting it too close to several walls or near devices or objects that can cause interference, like a microwave or any wireless devices.
- To continue with your Xfinity router configuration, plug the coaxial cable into the back of the router and make sure it is screwed in well.
- Now, connect the power cable to the mains.
- You can now press the “Ready to go” button on the app to continue with your Xfinity router setup.
- Tap the “Check Connection” button.
- Now, you will set up the WiFi network you will connect to when you plan to use any of the devices in your home with the wireless internet. To configure the Xfinity router network, you will need to enter the network name, an SSID, and a password for it. The password will have to be at least eight characters long.
Once you’ve set up the Xfinity router settings for the wireless network connection, you’re done! You can now proceed with using the wireless internet on your computer, smartphones, TV, and game consoles!
How to connect to Xfinity router?
When you’ve completed your Xfinity internet setup, the next step is to connect to it so you can get started with enjoying it.
Connecting to it is simple, as it’s the same as connecting to any other wireless network or hotspot you use in public. However, the precise steps depend on the device you’re trying to connect.
Go into the device’s WiFi or wireless network settings and search for nearby networks. When you see the name of your Xfinity WiFi, which will be whatever you chose as the SSID during the Xfinity modem setup process, select it. Enter the password you chose, and that’s it! You should be connected!
How do I change my Xfinity router settings?
The Xfinity app provides you with many Xfinity router settings and features that you can customize to get as much flexibility as possible from the router.
If you want to change Xfinity router settings like your SSID and password, you can do it by following these steps:
- Open the Xfinity app.
- Go to the Connect tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Pick your network from the options available.
- Tap the pencil icon to edit the name and password for your WiFi.
- Press “Apply Changes” at the bottom to save the changes.
To change the more advanced settings, such as parental control, WiFi Pause, and others, you can use the app or visit http://10.0.0.1 on any smartphone or device connected to the network and then log in.
How to add a second router to Xfinity?
If you’ve been thinking of how to set up Xfinity WiFi router for a completely new router on the same xFi account, that’s unfortunately not possible. This is because Xfinity accounts only allow a single router to be paired with an account at a time.
Credits: Thanks for the photo to Canva.
At ipoki.com we only mention the products that we’ve researched and considered worthy. But it’s important to mention that we are a participant of several affiliate programs, including Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate ipoki.com earns from qualifying purchases.