So, you’ve finally decided to upgrade your home’s security by getting a set of smart doorbells. These smart devices allow you to see who’s on your porch, answer the doorbell remotely, & video record everything that happens on your doorstep. Now, an interesting question lies ahead of you – what’s the smartest buy when it comes to smart doorbells – Ring Chime vs. Chime Pro?
If you’re familiar with Ring’s extensive line of doorbells, you know that both Ring Chime and Ring Chime Pro are great options. But what factors make the two different & most importantly, which one is better for your home? These are questions that several Amazon shoppers have brought up in the past year. So let’s review them both and answer these important questions.
Do you have a particular question about comparing Ring Chime vs. Chime Pro? Then use the table of contents below to jump to the most relevant section. And you can always go back by clicking on the black arrow in the right bottom corner of the page. Also, please note that some of the links in this article may be affiliate links. For more details, check the Disclosure section at the bottom of the page.
Here's what we'll cover:
What Is Ring Chime?
Ring Chime is a smart, Wi-Fi-enabled doorbell chime that comes with the Ring Doorbell. It’s wireless & can be placed on any power outlet in/outside your house. Plug it in, connect it to your Ring Doorbell (via the Ring App), and start using this smart device’s handy features. Some of the most notable features of Ring Chime include the following:
- It comes with a “Do Not Disturb” mode
- It can be customized to play different ringtones
- It’s easy to install
Some users have complained that the sound of the Ring Chime needs to be louder. These users typically have huge houses & need help hearing the smart chime across their properties.
What is Ring Chime Pro?
Ring Chime Pro is another smart, Wi-Fi-enabled doorbell chime from Ring. It offers all the features that the standard Ring Chime does. What makes Ring Chime Pro different is that it can also be used as a Wi-Fi extender. Does your Wi-Fi reach all parts of your home? If not, you can use this device as an extender.
According to the latest reviews, Ring Chime Pro is significantly louder than Ring Chime. The sounds this device produces whenever there’s an alert/notification are highly amplified. Hence, users can hear it from long distances. However, some reviewers have also claimed that the Chime Pro is too expensive.
Are you willing to pay more for a Wi-Fi-enabled doorbell chime that can also serve as a Wi-Fi extender? To answer this question, you’ll need to learn what these devices do in the first place. So let’s explore the true benefits of installing smart, Wi-Fi-enabled doorbell chimes.
What Does Ring Chime Do?
Here are the core features of the Ring Chime & the Ring Chime Pro:
- Both allow users to customize the ringtones as per their preferences.
- Both offer LED Alerts for people with hearing impairments.
- Both offer extended audio coverage areas of Ring alerts.
- Both offer volume control options.
- Both devices have amazing Motion Detection features.
- They both offer a “Snooze” mode.
- Both these devices come with “Do Not Disturb” options.
What is the Difference Between Ring Chime and Chime Pro?
The fundamental difference between Ring Chime and Ring Chime Pro is functionality. Ring Chime Pro can be used as a Wi-Fi extender. This feature instantly makes the Ring Chime Pro a superior product. By installing a Wi-Fi extender in your home, you can –
- Boost your Wi-Fi signals & receive extended coverage across your home. You can install your Ring Chime Pro in any room that doesn’t receive enough Wi-Fi signals & use the Internet more efficiently.
- You can eliminate the notion of having “Wi-Fi dead zones” in your home.
- The Ring Chime Pro works with all traditional routers. It offers both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi bands. So, the Wi-Fi you’re using currently is probably 100% compatible with this smart device.
- Functionality is, of course, one of many differences between Ring Chime and Ring Chime Pro. Some other significant differences between the two products include the following –
- ·Alert Amplification: The Ring Chime Pro offers an alert amplification feature. That means the alerts you receive from this device will be loud & easy to understand. The same can’t be said about Ring Chime because users can’t increase the volume settings of this device. Here’s a helpful video demonstrating the differences in sound quality between these two devices.
- Wi-Fi Compatibility: The Ring Chime only offers 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi bands. The Ring Chime Pro offers both 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz Wi-Fi bands.
- Time-Efficiency: The rings or alerts on the Ring Chime are slightly delayed compared to the Ring Chime Pro. The Ring Chime Pro is super-fast at detecting motion or knocks & alerting homeowners.
- Set-Up: Installing the Ring Chime Pro will take way more time than installing the standard Ring Chime. That’s because the Ring Chime Pro has more features. Hence, it takes a long time to install this device. Plus, there are extra prompts for installing the Chime Pro in the Ring app.
- Cost: The Ring Chime costs $34.99. It’s a relatively small price to pay for boosting your home security. The Ring Chime Pro, priced at $59.99, has so many takers. Unfortunately, homeowners aren’t refraining from paying extra for premium-quality home security devices.
- Alert Efficiency: If you’re super-strict about security & want to be alerted whenever there’s activity on your front porch, the Ring Chime Pro is better for you. One glance at this device, and you’ll receive an instant alert. The standard Ring Chime is also great at sending timely alerts. But it’s not as perceptive or quick as its Pro counterpart.
Which Ring Chime is Best?
It’s hard to settle the Chime vs. Chime Pro debate because both these products offer user-friendly features. However, if you live in a small home & you’re operating on a small budget, paying $25 extra for the Ring Chime Pro doesn’t make sense. Similarly, if you live in a big house, you will need more than the standard Ring Chime to provide the security service you need.
Overall, the Ring Chime Pro is clearly the better product. But, if you’re new to home security, starting off your journey by buying the cheaper alternative makes sense. The decision is up to you!
Credits: Thanks for the photo to Canva.
At ipoki.com we only mention the products that we’ve researched and considered worthy. But it’s important to mention that we are a participant of several affiliate programs, including Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate ipoki.com earns from qualifying purchases.